Klik op afbeelding om deze te vergroten


Sjouke Hoitsma, Brookings (South Dakota)

Sjouke Johannes Hoogland, St. Annaparochie

Engelse vertaling
Naamloos document

Frisian emigrants 54.
S. Hoitsma to S.J. Hoogland and wife.

Brookings [S. Dakota] April 1925.
Dear Uncle and Aunt,

Now it is already a couple of months that I am here in America and I didn't write you once.
The reason is that I didn't have a permanent place to live, Which I've found now I think.
As you will remember I told that I was going to my uncle at first.
But let me start at the beginning.
On Jan[uary] 14th the ship left Rotterdam at 3 o'clock in the morning.
I don't know anything about that because I was sleeping quietly.
I didn't know that we were sailing till I woke up at about 7 that morning and noticed the pitch of the ship.
When I came on deck some later, I saw no land at all so I concluded that we already were in the open sea.
After breakfast, when I had looked around some, I saw that some people were getting sea sick.
Well happily I didn't feel anything of it, however we had a few stormy days.
The ship, of course, rolled and heaved awfully while often waves came over it.
At the table the dishes and glasses slipped from one side to the other and you had to take care that the soup didn't get on your clothes sometimes.
But you get used to that and you eat it quickly.
The trip turned out much better than expected.
I had fun aboard. When the weather was nice we went outside to do some games and when it was bad we stayed inside.
And then a bit playing chess, checkers or playing cards in the afternoon and an hour of
music in the evening, time goes quick.
When we came ashore, which was about 11 o'clock in the morning, we had to go to the doctor and the customs first and after that we brought the luggage to the station and provided for the tickets.
After we ate something, we went into town for a while, and in the evening at 7 we entered the train to Chicago, where we arrived in the next evening at 9 o'clock.
In Chicago I slept and that afternoon, at 3 o'clock, I took the train to Bemis ( S.D.) where my uncle lives and where I arrived after sitting in the train for 26 hours.
There was a severe snow storm but I went into the sleigh and so we came on the farm where I stayed for about 2 months.
Now I've found a job in my profession on a kind of experimental research station, which is an institution of the State and it is connected with a university.
I am here less than a week, so I don't know I will like it here.
It looks well and people are decent.
Every American is willing to help you if he can.
3 Days ago I got a letter from my father and heard that Uncle was ill.
I hope that he is recovered now.
My paper is full so I have to tell some next time.
Receive in the mean time hearty greetings from your nephew Sjouke Hoitsma.
c/o Mr. H.M. Sarver,
704 12th Ave.
Brookings (So.Dak.) U.S.A.